Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Easy and Delicious Naan



An easy and comforting dinner for a blustery evening is shrimp curry. We go on monthly Costco runs which here in New York involves renting a zip car and navigating our way out of the confusing canyons of the Financial District to Brooklyn. Frozen shrimp is one of the most useful purchases I make there. The quality is good, and if I keep cans of chopped tomatoes, coconut milk and some Indian spices in my cupboard, I can throw dinner together in a matter of minutes. Last night, I decided to try to make my own Naan. I assumed it would be time consuming and tricky, but I promise you, besides the hour and a half you wait for the dough to rise, they are painless to put together.  Oh boy, I was eating them as soon as I was taking them out of the pan.


                                                  Easy and Delicious Naan



1 package yeast

1 cup warm water

2 tablespoons sugar

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

3 tablespoons milk

1 beaten egg 

2 teaspoons salt

4 1/2 cups bread flour ( the high protein in this flour makes a big difference)

melted butter

1. Dissolve the yeast with the water and the sugar in a large bowl. Once you see the surface become bubbly,  add the baking soda, milk,salt and egg and mix briefly. Add flour to make a soft dough- I ended up adding 4 cups. Knead for about five minutes- you will feel the texture of the dough smooth out- if you need to keep kneading, do it.

2. Put dough in an oiled bowl and cover and put in a warm place for an hour.

3. Punch the dough down and pinch off approximately 1/4 cup pieces, roll to a ball and place on a tray , slightly floured, cover and let rise for another 1/2 hour.

4.I have an old iron pan that I used- I wiped it with a little oil, pulled the dough balls into ovals, and put them, about three at a time, in the hot pan. With the back of a spoon I dipped in the melted butter, I basted the tops of the bread. Once they blistered on the bottom and felt relatively stiffened, I flipped them over, basted them again in the butter, and let the bottoms turn nice and brown.

See? Pretty easy, and the traditional bread with your curry makes it feel like a feast.

xxx Nana

7 comments:

  1. I'm glad to see Zan's pic up there, and it's good you both put who's posting, otherwise, who the heck knows...

    I detest shrimp, partly because I know what they look like in their 'natural state' and partly because they taste gross. I can only eat them if they happen to be battered n' deep fried. Same with oysters. LOL just remembered my first time in NYC I ordered oysters rockafeller.....damn. If only I'd remembered that episode of Punky Brewster I'd have known how to properly ingest those suckers. Horridly unpleasant.

    PS- the formatting of the blog is weird. Nan, your PM blog formatted just fine on my computer, but this one I have to scroll allllll the way to the right to be able to see everything. THe formatting for my blog everything is centered and viewable, you guys might want to try that template. Although who knows, on your computer my blog might be all the way to the right as well. just double checked your recipe- I see there is no shrimp in it, so I can makes it. If I weren't so g'd lazy. Glad to see you ladies back online! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a miracle that comment even posted. Apparently instead of just typing gibberish to prove you're 'not a robot' they give you one gibberish to type next to a picture. "type the two words you see" is what is requested. But there are not two words. Finally I figured out hey, maybe they mean type what you see in the picture. Sadly it's not always a picture of one thing. I saw a picture of a house with one window. I typed 'house'. That was wrong. I typed 'window' and that was what blogger wanted. Weird. Going to go check the settings on my blog, cuz if this is mandatory now it's going to make it damn difficult for people to comment on posts. PS the two blogs that are visible in my profile are centered. The blog for the ballet school is slightly off to the right, but not much. http://academyofclassicalballet.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's fantastic you are back! This blog is perfect. Do you plan to make a new video too? I love them so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just made these! - even I found them easy! and, they came out perfect even though I used Plain flour instead! - Thanks! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I glad to see the Kitchen Witches starting back up. Hope to see some new content and if you need any help I am sure just about everyone here is willing to help as best we can to give you two the best possible start to the relaunch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super Storm, Shmulper Storm, Franking Storm Sandy. Where your recipes at? I saw NY, NY City Resident Nana Visitor on a news clip saying how the storm looked like a movie.....nice pun. Sorry to see he hardship folks had to go though. I feel the storm shouldn't stop the momentum of these blogs :) I don't know of you girls take requests but if you have a recipe that has that secret super potent protein and vitamin content that Actor(Actress)s and Dancers keep secret and maybe you could share, That would be so, so astonishing!!! Thanks:)!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nana,
    glad to see you are your sister back as the Kitchen Witches.

    ReplyDelete