Monday, October 1, 2012

Dancing is part of the meal

I just had this vision of Mama dancing before and after dinner. She was, among other things, an accomplished Spanish dancer. She was very sexy and Dad made no bones about displaying his attraction for her. Always in spike heels, she would begin dinner as though it was the overture to a show. Watching her with concentrated intent,was a pass time of mine. She was, after all our mother and she was cool. Spanish Rice was a meal we were served at least twice a month and we all craved it. Laughter, boisterous laughter, seemed as prevalent as the garlic she used to flavor almost everything. Oh she was very spicy, haha! After throwing it all together she would smile and begin heel beats while raising her arms in what seemed like slow motion. The neighbors always complained because between her heel beats and our father choreographing, it was a bit loud but oh so fun for us. Later, as Nana and I grew we joined in with performances of our own. Dinner was the anchor for us and Nana and I grew as performers from those days.

                                      Spanish Rice as discovered in an old book of mine.....

                                  as dictated to me by Mama;
                     
Mama: "with peanut and olive oil cut up onion and lots of garlic, brown lightly."
Zan:     "how much onion?"
Mama:  " you know about one big one or two medium. Add 1 cup of rice and brown a little."
Zan:      " Oh, do you mean in butter?" ( I was young, give me a break)
Mama:  " of course! Separately brown meat then combine tomato paste and 1 large can of tomatoes and
                soup mix. ( she always threw in the flavor pack from Lipton soup to flavor things) and 1 cup
                of water."
Zan:      " mama, how much meat?"
Mama:   " you know, maybe a pound of ground beef." ( I suspect now that it could be any type of
                 ground meat. Buffalo, chicken, turkey or even lamb.)
Mama:   " Oh! I forgot!... add sugar to the onions when you brown them!..Oh my God!!"
Zan:       " Ok, I got it."
Mama:   " Separately brown green and red peppers, mix everything together, cover and cook slow."
Zan:       " thanks Mama. ( I could tell this was slowing her down and the wheels were turning)
Mama:    "I'll make tea and scones now."

               see?, I told you. The wheels were turning.

                                                                                      Kisses, Zan                          

3 comments:

  1. Hmm! this is a different twist! - I usually make my Meat,Pepper/Onion/Tomato Sauce together, then serve it on a bed of plain boiled Rice! So you par-cook it, then mix it, and slow cook it further? how long? Why do you brown the Green and Red peppers separately and not together? is there a particular reason?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With Mama you didn't ask :).... her methods were usually different and her layers of taste deep. You cook it until the rice is done and at times I've had to add more water. I hope you enjoy this.

      Delete
  2. Were there recipes that Mama never passed on to you? We have a few, I've tried to recreate from scratch some of them, have succeded on a few, failed on others. Some of the best ones, she'd do from heart, and had never written down, and not even a source recipe to work from. Her potato salad is the one I miss the most.

    ReplyDelete